Okay, I know it’s not smart to question faith, right before you give IELTS and start applying for PhD in Intl-Rel abroad…but as a matter of fact, I am not questioning God. I am questioning religion, or in common terms, a set of rules, made by humans, in the name of God, claiming themselves to be descendant/preacher of God…for which Continue reading
[I usually don’t cross post all my articles, but my latest Op-Ed in Washington Examiner is getting massive hits, especially after it was reposted in LUBP, with some nice editorial add-ons. Check the comments!]
The dust settled. The answer is known. Pakistan had Osama bin Laden hidden deep inside a picturesque town of Abbottabad, more famous for being the town with a Pakistani version of Sandhurst, or West Point, placed there. Clearly, someone knew something: either the Pakistani army or the country’s military intelligence, the ISI. The fact that they didn’t know that the world’s greatest terrorist was staying there for the last seven years, in a pretty much barbed and fortified building – as confirmed by one of Bin Laden’s wife – is not only irrationally naïve, but also hilarious, and utterly absurd.
There came out some articles, with muffled anguish, and disbelief. Cyril Almeida wrote in Dawn, Pakistan’s large circulation English-language newspaper:
“Maybe they didn’t know. Maybe they’re so daft they didn’t really take this whole business of pursuing Al Qaeda seriously. Maybe they just didn’t think it was their problem. But those voices, unconvinced by their own words, quickly trail off … They knew. They knew he was there. It’s too frightening to make sense of. The world’s most-wanted terrorist. A man who triggered the longest war in American history. The terrorist mastermind the world’s only superpower has moved heaven and earth to track down. A decade of hunting. Hundreds of billions of dollars spent. The blood of countless Americans and others spilled. And when he was finally found, he was found wrapped in the bosom of the Pakistani security establishment. Away from the bleatings of the ghairat brigade — the paranoid schizophrenics marching this country into the abyss the shock is profound. Grim questions are etched on anxious faces, but so is fear of the answers. Proud men and women, people who love and serve their country, have cried as they connect yet another dot in the horrifying trajectory this country is on. If we didn’t know, we are a failed state; if we did know, we are a rogue state.”
Ejaz Haidar wrote a scathing piece for Pakistan Today.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ press release PR. NO.152/2011 (Date: 03/05/2011) would be a laugh if this matter were not so serious. But since MoFA has come up with this joke at the behest of the military, and it is no time to mince words, I shall direct my questions to that institution. Firstly, I want to construct a high-wall compound right next to the Pakistan Military Academy, one with barbed wire on top. Next, when someone comes asking who I am because PMA is a high-security area, I am going to flash the MoFA logic in his face and say this is in line with my “culture of privacy and security”, thank you. This is nonsense, at its most nonsensical…”
But these are a couple of individual, proud, baffled journalists. The majority of Pakistan is quiet. Eerily silent. Day after day we are seeing rallies in Pakistan by uneducated Islamists, mourning the death of bin Laden. The JuD, the politial arm of the militant Islamist group Lashkar-e-Taiba has been offering prayers for a “great martyr;” Tehrik-e-Taliban, of Pakistan, is vowing revenge for the “murder” of a great “Muslim Son;” while Pakistani liberals are looking on with cowering silence, hushed and apologetic. Some are raising questions about the “arrogant” Americans coming and infringing their sovereignty; some raising conspiracy theories; but at the end of the day, it’s the long silence. They have been searching for answers, when it is the time to ask questions.
Why don’t we see any rallies from civil society now? Why not a single candlelit march? Why not a single voice saying: if Pakistani forces couldn’t kill the most dreaded terrorist on the face of the planet, then let the American forces do the job. Why not a single voice saying: good riddance? Are they spineless cowards? Or have they ceased to exist, struggling to dribble between bomb blasts and terrorist attacks, everyday?
What of the 5 million urban, educated, moderate, liberal Pakistani who we hear so much of in our own liberal media channels? Our media always feeds us the same old syrup of standing beside the “moderate forces of Pakistan or else…” Stand beside whom? The forces of democracy can only stand beside those people, who are willing to stand up and fight for their honor, not those who appease and apologize.
This incident of bin Laden hiding in Pakistan under the patronage of “someone” high in the Pakistani administration, did it increase the international prestige of Pakistan? The westernized, educated, handsome womanizer, Cricket World Cup-winning captain Imran Khan, a childhood hero of mine, now supports the tribal jirgas of Pakistan’s North-West province, who barter with underage women. Is this the “civil society” our media wants us to support?
Sorry, but I guess the defining moment is here. The Pakistani army is not at all ashamed. It is giving statementsafter statements, how the next time any foreign forces would face “dire consequences” if they decide on any such “misadventure” on Pakistani soil. The Pakistani newspapers, the conscience of the society, prints them with equal jingoistic zeal.
There can be two courses of logic for them: if they knew they didn’t act, then they are malevolent; if they didn’t know, then they are incompetent, and negligent, or both, and, in matters relating to this level, are criminal and liable for punishment.
But until now, we have not seen any serious acknowledgment other than “threats” from their side. No heads rolled. They don’t even consider it to be wrong, perhaps.
The political parties, the moderates, civil society – they are all quiet, and numb, almost paralytic. Which is ironic, as they are the worst sufferers at the hands of the extremists, and symbolic of the cancer that’s roots go deep.
We can’t fight their battle, or fix their country. No one can. The streets of Egypt and Tunisia, and then Libya, erupted, for good or for bad, without any external support system, spontaneously. This is the time for Pakistan to follow them. They have to ask questions, flock to the streets, challenge the system and the politicians, stare into the eyes of the army and dare them to shoot. They have to engage the uneducated and extremist ideologues who are rotting the country from within. Or else, their dream of true democracy will never happen and Pakistan as a nation-state will cease to exist someday, either by internal gangrene, or by external amputation.
In Calcutta. Or Kolkata. Whatevs. Came a couple of days back, genuine work reasons. Curious glances from the security people stationed here, near my house, due to the elections tomorrow. Am I one of those “outsiders” the communists bring for false voting? Am I a Maoist, planting bomb to derail voting process? Can’t deny after two days in train from Bombay to Calcutta, I kinda look like a man who stays in jungle…unshaved and unkempt…
This place has changed in the last 9 months I was in Bombay. The atmosphere is dead calm, and eerie. Almost a pall of gloom, with the heavy Bengal summer, the dirty mid day Sun scorching the place. Roads are empty, Shops closed, very less vehicles on the streets. Whether for the heat wave, or a fear of election street fights I don’t know. But it looks classical and apocalyptic. Surreal and claustrophobic.
The booze shops are closed, as usual. Couldn’t get a beer in this summer. The logic is booze can be used by hooligans, and biker gangs of the political parties for street fights. The fact that hooligans can even drink hooch and illicit liquor which is found in black market, and the biker gangs will fight regardless of booze or no booze if they come together face to face. But who cares for logic in Bengal anyways…
The parties, on one hand, giant, monolithic, Indian communists, fighting for their survival in the red bastion of India. (Yea, Kerala and Tripura are the other two states, other than Bengal, with red rule, but the intellectual support base of the Indian commies are mostly from Bengal. Arundhati Roy is also a Bong, though, she is an ultra leftist, who gets Booker prize.) The Indian communists, or the CPI(M) wrecked the state for the last 30 years, but during the last 5 years, tried to reform and change under Buddhadev Bhattacharya, a pretty pragmatic, though at times spineless Chief Minister of Bengal.
The other side, is basically not a party, but a platform, of any and everyone who is against this former monolith. The Indian National Congress, the Trinamool Fiefdom under its chief Mamata Bannerjee, the Maoists supporting Trinamool fiefdom, and the Jamaat-e-ulemay Hind e Islami. Yes. Fact.
The communists made shopping malls, multiplexes, discos, night clubs, overbridges, got new Volvo buses, and tried to open industries in the last five years, and the opposition to the communists, wanted taxes on the riches, wanted to scrap Haripur, Nayachar and other industrial belts for environment concerns, declined to do land acquisition for industries, and and won’t decrease subsidies and increases train and bus fares. Yea, role reversal. The person opposing commies, are redder than the red.
The history awaits. Only 24 hours more. If the commies win, there will be massive blood loss. If they lose, massive revenge killings. If the commies lose, then it is a cause to celebrate anyways, for all those who are traditionally anti-left, like me. But history is also proof to the fact that whenever the communists lose anywhere, an intense power vacuum is created, and anarchists, mafia, religious fanatics or the ultra-left take their place.
That is most likely to happen here too…
After any tectonic shift, comes a Tsunami. Dark days are coming.
Okay long time we didn’t do any World Watch, and I was surprised to see that the old World Watch posts still get the highest readership. :) So I decided that I should dedicate this World Watch post to my loyal readers, who still visit my blog everyday in search of new articles, even though my fate, aided with my relocating to Bombay and ludicrous amount of work had an inversely proportional effect on my content and regularity.
This is the first one…this blog has been accused of being partial to Hindus…though I categorically maintained that I am an irreligious capitalist…looking down upon religious fanatics of all colours equally. So here is one story where Hindus made the country proud by imitating the Talibans.
Christians didn’t stay much behind…
Man, religion is a f##ked up thingy!
The Indian left-liberal media would still say that the Maoists have the support of the poor villagers.
Meanwhile, Iran is churning out the much needed comedy breaks…
Among global left-lib triumph, the Vikings fought back…
But something happened for India which might go well with the Pro-Iran Obama Govt.
Meanwhile, it’s been a long time I never came across something so strong and blunt, that it hits your ribs like a straight jab…and I recommend everyone to read this, specially Arundhati Roy and her followers…
And finally…yes, they do pay for these kindof researches…
So long, until next time…till then, stay classic…planet Earth… :)
1. Finally…Belgium stands united in banning the Burqa. In a bold development, Belgian lower house of the Parliament, unitedly banned the Burqa, and/or the Niqab, siting it as a medieval subversion of women, and a walking prison. This comes after, Switzerland banned Minarets late last year. France is also going the same way, and there is a strong anti-veil movement in Netherlands and Denmark as well. Well, Europe is again showing us the way. The Jihad is finally stopping at the “Gates of Vienna” again. Now will the politically correct, and unbelievably moronic Asians and Americans follow? Or will they be still confused in debating human rights, defined by the left-liberal intellectuals? Time will speak…
“If senate approves it now,Belgium wd be the first country to ban the burkha.Hope they will do it to free women from being a mobile prison.” – Taslima Nasreen, Twitter.
2. Okay, fear grips Nepal, as Maoists plan “massive and indefinite” agitation from today, May 1. Unconfirmed reports that Maoists have started looting and demanding cash and food grains, from the traders and businesses, probably for the future. Well, the democratic Maoists are pretty much against the democratic mandate of the elected government, it seems…
3. Thailand chaos is slowly getting more and more surreal…
4. The most damaging spy, in the history of NATO. He was born out of wedlock. Probably a lovechild of James Bond.
5. Yulia Tymoshenko, Ex-PM and opposition leader of Ukraine, who looks like an elf straight out of the Lord of the Rings (and a “b-a-b-e!”), says that Russia wants to destroy their sovereignty… (Well, if you need asylum pretty…India is always a good option! Jus saying!)
1. There are some people in this world, who don’t like development. And if given a chance, they will go back to stone age. Apparently the author of this essay is one of them. In a hilariously disgusting display of literary rape, this homo sapien, likes the pollution and crimes of Karachi more than the shiny and developed Dubai. Reasons, well there are actually none…but since when did these folks care about reasons?
2. If some one is actually confused about the rosy portrait of Pakistan above, here’s a reality check.
3. Closer home, Benazir Bhutto almost got a saint status, following her murder in the hands of Pervez Musharraf. Good to see some people still speaking the truth, without the melodrama.
4. Here in this gawkish and forgetful country, 76 lives were lost in the deadliest ever single largest peacetime casualty by the Maoists, a month back, the day this blog started. People forgot. And intellectuals kept on supporting the Reds. Over-simplification of the problem went on, with a deliberate propaganda being made to make the gullible believe, that Maoists and Tribals are the one and same. Here’s the truth.
5. Finally, we have seen this approach before during Vietnam, haven’t we? Too bad we never learn…
1. Model French Imam, supporting pocket sized French president Nick Sarko, and also the Burqa-ban, is under attack from his own “secular” community…nothing new anyways though, as it already happened before in Englistan.
[Well...Number 1, proves a couple of things, Religion is disgustingly offensive, and a neccessary evil, a tool of exploitation in the hand of the communists, who just needs opportunity to shout, and is a masive negative point for capitalism, and right wing economic movement as a whole. Number 2, that I am uber-unbiased...]
4. Yellow peril, is finally coming true it seems, a hundred years after it’s coinage…
5. The British Obama is no fluke, as he continues to rip up Labour and Conservatives single handedly…charming the starry eyed Brits with his superficial promises, just as Obama did, a year back…Only good thing…Gordon Brown continues to screw up…
1. If this is serious, it is probably the funniest interview I have EVER read by a politician! Jo-Burg mayor, who looks like he is suffering from extreme constipation, answers about the preparedness of his city before the Footie World cup!
2. Okay, trust the loonie leftist intellectuals for making up fictitious, imaginary issues to defame everyone other than them…all the while claiming to be supremely democratic! Michael Moore got a new follower!
3. Here’s the cost-effective, collateral damage reducing, smart way of ending conflicts. Though the person writing the article is a bit critical and confused ’bout it…
4. Forbes India thinks, Goa, paradise of the east, is losing it’s hippies, and foreign tourists slowly…but it failed to state the main reason for it. Rape… :-/
5. I really couldn’t choose from these literary ornaments! So am keeping all! From Pravda…
A highly twisted and confusing account of the CIA exploits.
The comrades still can’t believe that the war in Afghanistan, and Iraq is still continuing, so this is on the fallen braves…
Welcome Rap-sta V-lad Putin… ;-)
Meanwhile, happy pot smoking day to you all, and to Pravda…
1. Spiegels’s take on the right-wing revolutionaries, the “highly partisan” Tea-party movement, that divided America. (Interesting, the tea-party movement started because of the policies of Barry Hussein, so technically he should be responsible for dividing America…!)
2. Almost the same tone, but a little different report. No prize for guessing from where…
3. Day’s WTF moment: Saudi Arabia’s highest Islamic council, declared a fatwa…against terrorism… (!?!)
5. And…the “Hunter-Killers” are back!
1. Islamic Ministry in Maldives is opposed to Akon’s
2. But who f***ing cares, brotha!!!
4. Mayawati, who looks like a male version of Rod Blagojevich, India’s huge daughter, hilariously corrupt, is at last internationally famous…
5. Philipine MILFs (Moro-Islamic Liberation Front) officially welcomes the Norwegians in the “threesome” talks…
And good day for our comrades in online Journalism…hip hip hurray!!! :-)